Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Gratin is a cheesy, creamy sauce warm bath for Brussels sprouts and bacon. It is not only a perfect side dish for weeknight or weekend cooking, but is also a family crowd pleaser for the holidays. This recipe will get the non-Brussels sprouts-eaters digging in.
When I think of a gratin I think of melted cheese in a thick creamy sauce that is so warm and comforting. Now, not everyone likes Brussels sprouts, but they will when they try this dish because not only is there melted cheese all over this dish, there’s bacon in and on top!
What’s not to love? It’s a cheesy, bacon lovefest and cheesy is a good thing in this instance and now that the weather is cooling off, who couldn’t do with a nice warm cheese hug?
Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Gratin – Step by Step
So simple to make in just a few easy steps and it all starts with bacon that is cooked until crispy. Brussels sprouts are boiled until almost tender (they finish cooking in the oven), then a creamy, cheesy sauce is made then poured over the Brussels sprouts and bacon, then topped with more bacon and baked until bubbly and golden.
I used a mix of sharp cheddar cheese with a little mozzarella mixed in because a cheesy dish has to have the stringy factor and mozzarella is perfect for creating this.
If you’ve tried these Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Gratin or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 12 ounces Brussels sprouts, rinsed, ends trimmed and cut in half and boiled for 4 minutes
- 8 slices bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- Small grating of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups grated cheddar, plus 1 cup for topping
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F/205°C.
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil and cook the Brussels sprouts for 2-3 minutes, slightly underdone. Drain and set aside.
- Add the bacon to a sauté pan over medium heat and cook until lightly browned and crispy. Remove the bacon onto a paper towel, reserving the bacon fat in the pan.
- Whisk the flour into the bacon fat until well mixed and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk until the flour is dissolved, add the nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and whisk until the milk starts to thicken.
- Stir in small handfuls of the 2 cups cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, making sure each is melted before adding more and stir until all the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Add the Brussels to a baking dish and sprinkle with 1/2 of the bacon.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the brussels sprouts and sprinkle with the 1 cup cheddar and remaining bacon.
- Place the dish onto a baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 534 Saturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 105mg Sodium: 922mg Carbohydrates: 13g Protein: 27g