2016 is upon us and if you are looking to eat healthier, this teriyaki salmon is a great start! A whole salmon filet is marinated in a healthier teriyaki sauce then broiled that makes for a moist and flaky fish. My new, healthy, go-to meal and it will be come yours.
This is a healthy teriyaki sauce with just 4 ingredients and sweetened with honey, because we know homemade is always best. The salmon is marinated for at least 1 hour in the teriyaki sauce. This gives a chance for all the flavors to permeate throughout the meat of the fish instead of just have all the flavor on the top. I used a whole filet of salmon then cut it into 3 to 4 ounce portions so I have leftovers for lunch. No time to marinate? No problem! The salmon will be just as delicious and be on the table in no time without it.
Served with a side roasted beets and you’ve got yourself a very healthy dinner. Now doesn’t that want you to start healthy eating?
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove grated
- 1- 12 ounce salmon fillet
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill finely chopped for garnish
- To a mixing bowl add the soy sauce, mirin, honey, ginger and garlic. Whisk to mix well.
- Add half to a ziptop bag or bowl and submerge the salmon, marinate for 1 hour.
- Place the top shelf of oven 6 inches from the top and preheat the broiler.
- Remove the salmon from the bag and pat dry. Discard the marinade.
- To the remaining marinade. whisk in corn starch until dissolved.
- Microwave for 1 minute until thickened.
- Place the salmon skin side down onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or foil.
- Brush a little of the thickened marinade onto the salmon.
- Broil for 2 minutes and brush more marinade onto the salmon and return to the broiler for 5 more minutes.
- Finish with remaining sauce.