Based on a cheesy, creamy gratin, this dish will have your waistline thanking you. This gratin is light, with no cream or cheese in sight, just flavored with fresh herbs.
Sweet potatoes are sliced thin, covered with oil and rosemary then baked.
The halibut is quickly sautéed stove top, then placed on top of the sweet potatoes. Halibut is my favorite fish. With it’s beautiful, meaty white flesh is remarkably delicate but still weighty on the palette, it works very well with the creamy sweet potatoes. If you cannot find halibut any of your favorite firm fish would work, cod, sea bass, even salmon, so the choice is yours.
The halibut is topped with chopped tomatoes, fresh basil, kalamata olives and fresh lemon zest. If you are not a fan of olives, you can omit them from the recipe. The dish is then baked for 8-10 minutes until fully cooked. This is a lovely, light and healthy, quick meal.
- 4-6 large sweet potatoes sliced thin
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus more for coating
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- Small pinch salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable stock or water
- 6 each or any firm white fish you prefer, 4 ounce halibut fillets
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- 4 small or 3 medium tomatoes peeled and chopped * see note
- 3/4 cup kalamata olives chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with the olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Spread the potatoes evenly individual gratin dishes or a 9 by 13 inch baking dish.
- Add the stock or water and cover with foil.
- Bake until the potatoes are tender and can be pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and keep covered.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly salt and pepper the fish fillets and coat with olive oil.
- Coat a cast iron skillet with olive oil and heat over medium high heat.
- Sear the fish on once side for 2 minutes.
- Uncover the potatoes and transfer the fish onto the potatoes, cooked side up.
- Spread the tomatoes and olives over the halibut and sprinkle the lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until the fish is firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with olive oil and fresh basil.