Baked Bananas Foster Oatmeal is like enjoying a yummy dessert for breakfast. A warm and comforting breakfast inspired by a classic dessert. This oatmeal will get you going in the morning and keep you satisfied until lunch.
Now THIS is a breakfast treat. Bananas foster is one of life’s best desserts and now you can enjoy it for breakfast. (This will even get your kids to eat oatmeal). With just 5 ingredients (in addition to the oatmeal and milk), this comforting breakfast is hearty, full of flavor and will keep you going all the way to lunchtime.
What led me to this recipe was my regular daily oatmeal. I usually just top it with fresh fruit and nuts and thought it was not only time for a change, but for a treat. And treat it is! The oats are mixed with brown sugar, cinnamon, milk and vanilla then baked to creamy perfection.
The really tasty topping for this Baked Bananas Foster Oatmeal is sliced banana, coated in melted butter then sprinkled with brown sugar and broiled until golden and bubbly, made just like the bananas foster.
Traditional bananas foster is made with rum, but there is none in this recipe. We obviously don’t want to have rum in our breakfast (unless you want to treat yourself for brunch) or feed it to our children. Now this is tasty way to start the day for everyone.
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare 2, 8 ounce oven-proof ramekins by spraying them with non-stick cooking spray and place onto a baking sheet.
- To a mixing bowl, combine the oats,1 teaspoon brown sugar, cinnamon, milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix well.
- Divide the oatmeal mixture between the 2 ramekins. Bake for 40 minutes. When the oatmeal has 10 minutes left, start the banana topping.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced bananas and mix in 1/4 teaspoon vanilla.
- Once the oatmeal is done remove from the oven.
- Move the top rack of the oven near top and preheat broiler.
- Spoon the bananas on top of the oatmeal and sprinkle with remaining teaspoon brown sugar.
- Broil until golden and bubbly (keep an eye on them)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 461 Saturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 51mg Sodium: 97mg Carbohydrates: 56g Protein: 12g