Don’t knock it ’til you try it. There’s no oatmeal book of law anywhere (that I know of) that states oatmeal has to be sweet. Why I hadn’t tried this before is beyond me. I’ve been searching for a new breakfast item and something filling, hearty and with extra protein is just what is needed. If I don’t eat a good breakfast, I find that I start to get more hungry as the day goes on and I’m less productive. Filling up on whole grain oats are the best way to start the day with this delicious hot cereal that keeps me satisfied for hours.
Once the oats are plated, they are topped with a poached egg and crispy bacon. Let me tell you, when the creamy yolk runs out, you mix it with the nutty oats, a bite of bacon and mushroom, it makes for the perfect bite, you have to trust me. This breakfast was requested 3 weekends in a row by my husband who is a sweet oatmeal eater.
When I buy my oatmeal, I like to enjoy 100% natural steel cut oats. These Quaker steel cut oats and all the ingredients for this recipe as well as other Quaker products with their special winter packaging are available at your neighborhood Target store.
Please support our sponsor Quaker, by visiting them on their social media pages, Facebook & Pinterest
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup 1 % milk
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup Quaker steel cut oats
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar, grated
- Small pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- White vinegar
- To a large sauté add the olive oil over medium heat.
- Sauté the bacon until browned and crispy. Set aside on a paper towel.
- To the same pan, add the mushrooms and cook until browned. Set aside.
- To a medium saucepan bring the milk and water to a boil.
- Stir in the oats and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer uncovered over low heat, stirring occasionally for 25-30 minutes.
- minutes before the oats are done, fill a small saucepan 1/3 full with water and add a splash of distilled vinegar.
- Heat over medium low heat until you start to see small bubbles, do not allow to simmer or boil.
- Crack 1 egg into a small bowl.
- Stir the water with a spoon so the water is moving in a circular motion.
- Add the egg carefully to the center of the water.
- Cook the egg for about 3 minutes.
- Remove using a slotted spoon and carefully place onto a cloth to drain excess water. Repeat with the other egg.
- When the desired consistency is achieved, stir in the cheddar cheese and mushrooms.
- Taste for seasoning, add salt if needed.
- Serve the oats in a bowl and top with the poached egg and crispy bacon.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 980 Saturated Fat: 34g Cholesterol: 321mg Sodium: 1084mg Carbohydrates: 36g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 7g Protein: 50g