Kumquats, they’re like mini oranges with an interesting name. There are 3 varieties of the fruit, in this recipe I’m using the oval. They also come in round and the Jiangsu variety which can be round or bell shaped.
In the process of making this marmalade, I couldn’t help think about spreading it on a lovely warm scone with clotted cream, think I might have to make some.
- 12 ounces Kumquats
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 cups fine sugar
- 1 candy thermometer * (see note)
- 4 jars with lids, sterilized ** (see note)
- Cut the Kumquats lengthwise and remove any seeds and dry pith.
- Add to the food processor and pulse until very small.
- In a medium saucepan, add all the ingredients.
- Stir until combined over medium heat.
- Attach candy thermometer to the pan.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes or until the temperature reaches 220 degrees F/104 degrees C on the candy thermometer.
- Skim any foam that is on the top.